Making of a Masque Ball

Making of a Masque Ball
This was a idea/dream of mine since I was young. To go to a fairytale type Masque Ball. 
Of course I already have my prince, but the idea of a lavish Ball with costumes, wonderful food, dancing and beautiful surrounds has played in my head for ages.  Dale and I were on a trip to my Brother wedding, while driving back to the airport in Boston we were talking and he said that as this has been a dream of mind that I should just go for it. I looked at several venues and finally settled on LaCaille

It is set at the mouth of a canyon and is designed to look like a French Chateau. 
It is complete with swans, peacocks, and other birds.
I choose to have the affair in their Grand Ballroom. This was all scheduled in January of 2015. During the next several month I meet several times with different people at the venue to decide, table arrangements, linens,  what to serve, how to serve it,  taste testing the food, meeting the head chef and pastry chef, floor plan layout for DJ and photo booth, etc.
Then came trying to figure my guest list. This was hard as there were a lot of people who are important in my life and as this event was a once in a lifetime dream I wanted to include them all. 
Next had to order the invitations and address them. I chose to address them by hand instead of o the computer, as this was a very special event to me and I wanted it all to be personal.
Sadly, it became easier to keep my guest list to around a hundred as several of my family did not attend.  But the hundred plus family and friends that said they would attend were wonderful and got right into the spirit of the event. At the time of the event only one couple who sent RSVPs were not there.
 I had told several people that I would help with their costumes. This entailed two trips to LA for the right fabrics and trims (of course while in the area, I also went to Disneyland each of those trips). By the way, I could spend days wondering and buying down in the LA wholesale market area! The costumes ranged form a couple that were totally from an idea such as my Phoenix costume and Matt's steampunk master costume, while others were from photo's people had seen or pictures of video game characters. I did the costume,s but the masks were created by the wearers or bought at a shop.
my Phoenix
Corvo Attano (Dishonored- Video Game)

 Skull Kid from the legend of Zelda

picture of Evil queen from Once upon a Time
Regina (evil queen)
Picture idea
 Tardis (Dr Who) and steampunk master
Dalek (Dr Who)
I also did some alterations on Alicia's wedding dress, but that was not as complicated as the above costumes. As my usual, I put some of these off until the last week and was sewing the buttons on regina's coat while Holly drove us up to the event.
As I put this all down, I realize that I never got a picture of the centerpieces that I designed for the tables.  They were fun as they were glass pumpkins filled with candy surrounded by a garland of fall leaves with pumpkin lights in them. I gave them away to some of the guest that night.
I also want to thank Karla, Holly, Kathy, Kelsey, and Amiee who all helped me finish pieces of the costumes here and there; Robin for the use of the pumpkin lights,  and all those who I forgot to mention who helped this all come off to perfection.  the hundreds of hours in the planning and executing  were all worth it, I had a wonderful time with some of the greatest people I know. Thank you all!!


Comments

  1. Helping on costumes was a fun part of the weekend! Thanks for trusting me with a thread and needle.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Trees for the Festival

Lasagna

Baked Sandwiches